Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Elf

Dear Erica,

The stars aligned for this pitch perfect comedy that combines Will Farrell's juvenile sense of humor with sharp and witty repartee. Not only that, the entire movie is brimming with glee in a way no other movie has since. In a way it's unfortunate that such a terrific movie is a Christmas one because this is something I could watch repeatedly throughout the year. But I do save it for the holidays because that makes it so much more special.


Whoever decided to cast Bob Newhart as Papa Elf should go down in history as the best casting director of all time. His stammering father routine plays marvelously with Farrell's jubilant elf characterization. Also on board are Zooey Deschanel, who is truly lovely, and Ed Asner also perfectly cast as Santa Claus. I love Charles Durning, but it's great to see him step aside to allow others to play Santa.

There is truly nothing I would change about this movie. It surprised me, which is something movies rarely do for me anymore. To be surprised at the movies is a rare thing that should be cherished. Believe me, I do. And did with this one.

Till next time,
Bradley

1 comment:

  1. Every year I fall in love with this movie more and more. I think I have popped it in 3 times already. I think this is one of the best Xmas movies in the last 10 years. There is so much heart in this movie and such a reminder of how much fun simple life can be. Next time I walk through revolving doors, I should just go around a few more times!

    ReplyDelete