Monday, December 20, 2010

The Polar Express

Dear Erica,

I will now begin the countdown for my top 5 Christmas movies or specials, beginning with (what else?) number 5.

5. The Polar Express


Despite the somewhat eerie motion capture animation in its earliest phase, the story of The Polar Express makes it a special experience that sweeps you away into the brain of a child. I was skeptical that Robert Zemeckis could turn a short childrens' picture book into a feature length film, but I was blown away by each and every frame he had to offer. The creepy human faces aside, it is a visual enchantment that never ceases to be endlessly entertaining.

Every detail, from the enormous Christmas tree at the North Pole to the freckles on the children, comes together in a playful and surprising way. I have said before that being surprised at the movies is something to be cherished. Well, there is much to be cherished here, and should be year after year after year.

Remember that feeling you had a child on Christmas Eve? The one that kept you awake long past your bedtime? The one that woke you before the sun came up? That's exactly the feeling that is evoked by The Polar Express, and is the reason it will someday be regarded as a classic. It may not be the movie Robert Zemeckis is most revered for; that would be Forrest Gump or Back to the Future. But mark my words, when he dies and volumes of books are written about this period in film history, it will be the one he is remembered for. And for good reason. It's our generation's Wizard of Oz. And that one took a while to become the classic it is today.

Till next time,
Bradley

1 comment:

  1. I finally got a copy of this movie last year and I some how didn't get around to watching it. I am sad I missed it this year, but excited to sit down and really watch it next year. I haven't seen it since it came out, so it will be like new to me again.

    ReplyDelete