Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Family Man

Dear Erica,

As a rule, I do not like Nicholas Cage. His hair nowadays gives me the creeps and he's had so many face lifts that it looks like he swallowed his forehead. There are two exceptions to my rule: Moonstruck and The Family Man.

The Family Man tells the oft told tale of a man whose life is suddenly ripped from him in favor of a "what things could have been" scenario had he only chosen another path. Instead of being one of the richest men in New York City, he is suddenly thrust into a life in the suburbs living paycheck to paycheck. What's missing in his reality is a family and in his fantasy life that's all he really has.

What follows is the usual "how to change a diaper" and "fall in love with my wife all over again" routines. But when Cage is as charming as he is here, and is backed up by the lovely Tea (what is she doing with sex addict David Duchovny?) Leoni, it's a real treat from start to finish.

Till next time,
Bradley

1 comment:

  1. So I watched this one again. I think I skipped it last year. One thing that I have to say that I like about this movie is that they didn't go for the cliche that he is this complete douche in his "real" life and then the perfect guy is the "what could have been" life. He is just a man with different priorities. I like that. They could have so easily slipped into the other mode. And Tea Leoni is such a doll. I could change fields for her!

    ReplyDelete