Friday, December 10, 2010

A Redbird Christmas

Dear Erica,

My friend James loaned me a copy of Fannie Flagg's Christmas novel, A Redbird Christmas, and it turned out to be a revelation. Not only did it get me in the holiday spirit even more than I already was, but it has inspired me to get off my lazy ass and start writing again!


There are many books on how to be a writer. One can enroll in scholarly lessons about the craft of writing. There are even instructional DVDs on the subject. What none of these books, classes or movies can teach a person is how to write a simple sentence. That is a gift bestowed upon few and I am absolutely convinced it cannot be taught. Fannie Flagg has been blessed with this gift and it has never been on such grand display as in this charming novel about a year spent in rural Alabama.

Fannie Flagg may best be known as a panelist on The Match Game in the 70's. She was always in the sixth and final seat, which is definitely the most difficult position. By the time the game reached her, all the clever and witty answers had already been given by the racist actor in seat one, Brett Somers in two, Charles Nelson Reilly in three, whatever blond twit Richard Dawson was screwing in seat 4, and Richard Dawson in seat 5. Yet Flagg always managed to top all their quips when the question was begging for a double entendre, or provide the contestant with a win if the score was close. If the question was "______ Willow," you can imagine the possibilities. Two come to mind. She was brilliant on that show; a fact that is often ignored because so much was made of her perky jugs in lieu of her enormous brain.

I have read two other Flagg novels. Her most notable is undoubtedly Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe. That one was turned into a fantastic film starring Kathy Bates and Jessica Tandy, even if it did glaze over the lesbian aspect of the plot. What always amazes me is her ability to write the elusive "simple sentence." By simple, I do not mean bland or elementary. Rather, it's the ability to succinctly put into words a mood and intention in as few words as possible. In the case of A Redbird Christmas, she has managed to write an entire novel made up of such glorious sentences. There is not a single moment that rings untrue, and its world is populated with rich characters and intriguing circumstances.

A plot description would never do this book justice, so I encourage you to find a copy for yourself and indulge in its pages that are reminiscent of a warm family memory. There you will meet Oswald T. Campbell, an orphan named after a can of tomato soup; Patsy, a crippled young girl with one wish for Christmas; and Jack, the mischievous Redbird who brings the entire community together. I'll put myself in Flagg's seat for a moment and proclaim that it's "______ing Awesome."

Till next time,
Bradley

2 comments:

  1. I knew you'd love it! That's great. She is a phenomenal (and far underrated) writer. We must get together soon and talk it all down. I hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I was inspired by your review of this book. I went on Amazon to order it. To my surprise there were lots of Christmas books with rave reviews. I don't know why it didn't dawn on me earlier, I need to start adding books to my Christmas obsession. I think I will try to do one a year. I am in Grad School after all. I will start with this one. I am so excited!

    ReplyDelete