Friday, December 24, 2010

White Christmas

Dear Erica,

1. White Christmas


At one time I found this movie a little dry and even a little boring. Now that I am older, I cherish it in a way that I do no other film. Every single frame speaks to me on a level that I simply cannot explain. Its many joys go beyond Bing Crosby's beautiful voice, Rosemary Clooney's sincere smile, Danny Kaye's hilarious physical antics and Vera Ellen's incredible ability to bend in ways nobody else can. I can't explain what makes it so special, but I suppose it's enough that I know it is.

The entire movie is made up of hundreds of "favorite moments." To pick out a musical number as my favorite would be impossible, but here are a few standouts:

The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing - There is something about watching Vera Ellen and Danny Kaye dance this number that brings tears to my eyes. It's an upbeat moment in the film, but I have found myself needing a tissue on more than one occassion. The reason it makes me cry is Vera Ellen. It's a rare instance that you get to watch someone doing exactly what they have been born to do, and that is exactly what happens during this number. Vera was born to dance and the reason I cry is because there's a glint in her eye shows me that she knows it.

Counting Your Blessings - Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney are two of the best singers of all time. Who knew they could both act so well? The scene where they each "count their blessings instead of sheep" is a master class in both singing and acting, and we are lucky enough to be there for it.

Mandy - Vera Ellen is the best dancer that ever worked in the movies. This number proves it. Her acting is only so-so, but who cares when she is capable of doing back flips down a staircase without even looking.

Sisters - Crosby and Kaye in drag. Enough said.

Love, You Didn't Do Right By Me - This number not only made George Chakiris a star, but it is also the best one in the movie. It's just about as glamorous as a movie musical gets and Rosemary Clooney nails every phrase. And of course there's that dress. Wow.

So after years of gradually climbing my list of favorites, White Christmas not only ranks number one on my Christmas list, but is coming close to taking the top slot on my list of all-time favorites. Watch out Woody Allen and Alfred Hitchcock...there's a holiday flick on your toes and it's gaining ground every day. Or at least every Christmas.

Merry Christmas!

Till next year,
Bradley

No comments:

Post a Comment