Monday, November 29, 2010

30 Rock: Ludachristmas

Dear Erica,

Elaine Stritch is some sort of genius. Andy and I saw her at the State Theatre in Minneapolis a handful of years ago, performing in a one woman show about her life. It was astounding to watch this woman in her eighties singing, dancing and acting with all the verve in the world. Although I guess if you don't give it your all when it's the story of your life, when will you?

My favorite 30 Rock episode, although this changes daily and should not be considered definitive, is "Ludachristmas." Stritch has since made annual appearances on episodes of the show thanks to her memorable portrayal of Jack Donaghy's mother in this one. She even won an Emmy for it, and deservedly so. I'd show you a clip from the show, but I wouldn't want to spoil it in case you haven't seen it yet. And if you have not, stop reading, slap yourself and buy the DVD immediately. Instead, I want to share a video of her accepting an Emmy Award. This is not the Emmy she won for 30 Rock, but rather the one she nabbed for the screen version of the aforementioned stage show about her life. It's one of the greatest acceptance speeches of all time...



For the record, my other favorite 30 Rock episode is "Rosemary's Baby" starring comedy legend Carrie Fisher. Oh, and "Subway Hero" starring comedy legend Tim Conway. Or "Gavin Volure" starring comedy legend Steve Martin. Oh, who am I kidding? I love them all, each starring future comedy legend Tina Fey.

Till next time,
Bradley

No comments:

Post a Comment