Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Dear Erica,

Since I lived in the states for so long, I still like to celebrate the American Thanksgiving. Having it in the middle of October like we do in Canada just competes with Halloween, and certainly does not feel like the kick off to the Christmas season. It's more like an excuse for turkey followed by pumpkin carving. No, I prefer the holiday to be at the end of November. Lights are already hung on lamp posts, the malls are decked out in holly, and the day after Thanksgiving is the biggest shopping day of the year. Ah, Christmas! Every few years it actually lands on my birthday, so I suppose it's not only the kick off to Christmas, but also my birthday. So it's a double whammy!

Thanksgiving would not be the same without Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I never get tired of watching this one. Steve Martin is a jerk through most of it, but somehow the obnoxious but loveable John Candy manages to balance out his arrogance and make us understand how much he just wants to get home. It's not just one of the best movies of the 80's, or best Steve Martin movie, or best John Hughes comedy...it's one of the best ever. It's as simple as that.

For all intents and purposes, this is a road movie. As a rule, road movies are garbage. They are generally nothing more than a series of unfortunate events that pile up on the main characters until the movie hits 90 minutes, when it abruptly ends. This is perhaps the only road movie I can think of that is actually a comedic examination of the human condition disguised as a road movie. Sure, they face one obstacle after another, and they are all HILARIOUS, but it's really about watching two people become friends.

There are so many classic scenes it's impossible to know where to begin. "Those aren't pillows!" "My dogs are barking." "You're going the wrong way!" "Her first baby come out sideways." "This is your Diane Sawyer autographed earring." And the list goes on. But my favorite, as I'm sure it is for many, is the scene with the car rental and Edie McLurg. I'm not one who appreciates too much swearing in a movie, and this scene is why an otherwise family friendly movie got an R rating, but it's so hysterical that I am so pleased John Hughes had the balls to leave it in. Today he would have been so eager to get a PG rating that one of the most classic scenes of all time would never have seen the light of day. And here it is...



One last note. Every time I see this movie, I miss John Candy more and more. He was truly an original. How deserving that he has a classic film to his name that will never be forgotten.

Till next time,
Bradley

1 comment:

  1. I totally forgot about that scene! I actually laughed out loud. I always think of you guys when I watch this movie. I didn't get to it this year. But I am going to make sure it is a Thanksgiving tradition from now on!

    ReplyDelete