Monday, November 15, 2010

Four Christmases

Dear Erica,

I first saw this movie at 30,000 feet in the air. Something about seeing a movie on an airplane, be it the altitude or the lack of alternatives, makes everything better. Upon second viewing, Four Christmases is not nearly as good as I remembered it. It's actually pretty funny, but I disembarked that plane thinking I had just seen a new Christmas classic or something. While decent, it's no Christmas Vacation.


The supporting cast is fantastic, and includes Sissy Spacek, Jon Voight, Robert Duvall and Mary Steenburgen. All of them have Oscars, by the way. Also on board are Jon Favreau, Tim McGraw, Dwight Yoakam and Kristin Chenoweth. They are all very funny and work well together. Unfortunately its two stars are the repressible Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon. Election and Legally Blonde aside, I don't get why Witherspoon is such a huge star. That she has an Oscar practically gives me hives. Then there's Vaughn, who I find to be the most crass, vulgar and unlikeable actor ever. He just shouts and yells all his lines and for some reason people think it's funny. I don't get it. Fortunately the writer and director have given his character a few sympathetic qualities so I was mostly able to overlook my preconceived notions of his crappiness. Witherspoon gets some cute lines and is generally pretty enough to forgive her bitchy moments.

I can see why this movie was so popular. It's amiable, has a great supporting cast and is only 89 minutes long. All in all, a fun diversion while wrapping gifts.

Till next time,
Bradley

2 comments:

  1. I remember thinking this movie was better than I thought it was going to be. Thats all. I had VERY low expectations, so I was a bit surprised in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't why it is hard to make a great funny, romantic Christmas movie these days. Nothing can compete with Love Actually in my book. Christmas is such a great time, a wonderful backdrop for great story making.... Bradley - we need your help here! It's time to make the next great Love Actually.

    ReplyDelete