Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Christmas in Connecticut

Dear Erica,

I want it to be very, very clear that I did not watch the bizarre TV remake from the 90's, starring a virtual who's not in Hollywood. Dyan Cannon, Kris Kristofferson and Tony Curtis were the leads in that mess, directed by none other than Arnold Schwartzenegger. Yes, that's right. No, I'm not kidding. I swear. Really. What's that, you say? "WTF?" My thoughts exactly.

No, I watched the glorious 1945 original. Barbara Stanwyck turns up yet again in another holiday treat. While not as heartwarming as Remember the Night, Christmas in Connecticut is a delicious door slamming farce that stays on its toes throughout. Truth be told, despite the title it's actually not very Christmassy at all. They pass by a decorated tree a few times, but the whole thing could really be called "In Connecticut" and the plot would stay the same. But no matter, it's become one of those movies that we all watch this time of year.

What's most interesting about this movie is the sexual chemistry between Stanwyck and her co-star, Dennis Morgan. Who? I have no idea, either. This was his only major part. I have a funny feeling he was sleeping with Stanwyck at the time and got the part at her insistence. Then they broke up and he was never heard from again. It's safe to say this hunch is entirely untrue, but what else could explain the ridiculous amount of sexual energy between the two? On more than one occasion, they rub up against each other and, I swear, the film stock melts a little and everything goes out of focus. Then there's a running bit with a rocking chair that is oddly risque for a movie from the 1940's. Watch it again and tell me they are not insinuating something kinky.

The supporting cast is hysterical, the sets are extravagant and "Miss Stanwyck's Gowns by Edith Head" are jaw dropping. All reasons enough to pop this in now, or any time of year.

Till next time,
Bradley

1 comment:

  1. I finally watched this one this year. It is a great classic. I love the scene when the two characters fully dress enter the bedroom together with the door wide open and the maid gets upset is is about to quite. Oh how times have changed. LOL

    ReplyDelete