Monday, November 1, 2010

Welcome and Jingle All The Way

Dear Erica,
(and other readers, of course!)

It's November 1st so Christmas season has officially arrived! I am determined to blog every day until Christmas about whatever Christmas themed movie or TV show I watched that day. I'll be straight with you now and say that I will probably miss days. Or not. I will certainly try to keep it up at a regular pace. Other people will read this, but since you are my bestest Christmas friend (who gets my need to plaster every square inch of my apartment with garland and holly), I am going to write them all to you. So enjoy!!!

Whenever I see Rita Wilson, I think of you. I'm not sure why exactly. Perhaps it's because she's in Sleepless in Seattle and we love that movie. Or perhaps it's because she's in Mixed Nuts and we love that movie too. But, no, I think it's because of Jingle all the Way. Her character in it sucks the big one because she is a big meanie to her husband and a stupid idiot. I mean, come on, how can she not recognize her towering, muscular, AUSTRIAN husband when he's dressed as Turboman? I mean, honestly! Only you laugh at her as hard as I do for being such a one-dimensional drag wife. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

As you may have surmised, the first movie I decided to watch this year was Jingle All the Way. Random choice, and I actually watched it at work. Shh, don't tell my boss. Our DVD player is on the fritz so it was either Jingle All the Way or complete silence. It won't play most discs, but it DOES play said movie so I'm taking it as a sign that Sony is in the Christmas spirit too and wanted me to watch it today. Or I'm justifying my actions, as I tend to do. Whatever, I'm in the spirit here...and I don't like grinches. Especially at work.

Is Sinbad always as obnoxious as he is in this movie? This is clearly a rhetorical question because we all know he's more annoying that Fran Drescher. Hmmm....wouldn't it be funny to see a production of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf with Sinbad and Fran Drescher? I'd pay top dollar to see that disaster.

Then there's Phil Hartman. He's such a prick in this flick. Total asshole. Nothing like a jerk to put me in the holiday spirit. But he does. When he tells Arnold (aka Howard) that he has "a Turboman doll wrapped safely under his tree," I slap my forehead and ask myself why he doesn't just invite him in to steal the stupid doll. Plot hole #200.

Then of course there is Arnold himself. I love him in family movies. He's somehow very charming, despite his complete lack of acting ability. But watching him chase a poor little girl around the mall like a pedophile gladiator, just for a stupid toy that his son will not even want in a week, makes me giddier than I ought to be. It's just so cheery! Of course he also kills a bunch of people in an explosion at the radio station, but we forgive him that because deep down we all want to hug the big lug. No wonder he's the governor now.

Anyways, I had such a fun time watching the movie and can't wait for TWO WHOLE MONTHS of Christmas cheer. And to all those reading, I am going to take a page from my cousin and require that you comment (even if it's just one word!) if you read an entry. I am determined to get you all to feel the cheer of the season...one holiday movie at a time. So let me know what you think of whatever I'm writing about, any memories you have about it, and also suggest what I SHOULD write about. I have a ton of perennial favorites that I blast through each year, but there are probably dozens of new gems just waiting to be discovered.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS ALL!

Love you Erica,
Bradley

6 comments:

  1. I must admit, I was shocked when I saw Jingle All The Way was your first choice for our Christmas 2010 x 200% celebration! I was expecting Bridget Jones maybe, Mixed Nuts, or quite possibly a Home Alone. All I know was that I was completely excited to see you started your blog. So far I have begun a quite celebration on my own with the beginning of a pandora station. I am thinking of slowly starting to decorate the apartment. Hummm... maybe a wreath soon. I already got the cookie candle burning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must get a wreath as soon as humanly possible! I think we will save the tree until after my birthday, but soon smaller decorations will begin to pop up around the apartment. And I just ordered a nutmeg Christmas bubble bath so that I can even begin to smell like the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yaaa!! I love it Bradley. I have to admit, I actually broke down and watched my first movie a couple days before halloween once I heard there was a big snow storm back home. I watched Fred Clause (mostly because Rob wouldn't let me watch any good movies without him), and I think it actually took the spirit out of me. But I'm back and ready for the season to start. I actually own TWO copies of Jingle all the Way. It was a popular gift that Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I also want to contribute this

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py7haZKDOPA

    ReplyDelete
  5. (new) Paul... you know... from workNovember 18, 2010 at 10:33 PM

    Bradley, I finally took the time to take a full, not-rushed read of your blog, and it's just fantastic. It's absolutely hilarious, probably because you know what everyone else thinks about these movies. Just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. great list of holiday movies. Thanks...happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete